Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Plumber problems...

I am SO aggrivated! I was having problems with the faucet in our front bathroom... neither the hot nor the cold side were working. I sent Joe's brother a text message asking him who he would recommend and he gave me a phone number, he said, "Call this guy and let him know that you know me and that Joe is deployed... he is a GREAT guy!" So the plumber stopped by this morning to look at the faucet. Dumb me.... it was just a clogged filter. He unscrewed it, tapped it on the counter to clean it, and screwed it back on. THEN he saw my leaky tub faucet. This thing has had a slight drip ever since we bought the house, but it's not a big deal and it doesn't even effect our water bill. Joe and I really had NO intention to mess with it until he got home. But he looked at it and said, "Well, while I'm here...." and just started messing with it!! Two hours, a hole in our wall (for an access panel), and a whole new faucet later, he hands me a $509 bill!!!! HOLY COW!!!! He didn't give me an estimate, NOTHING to prepare me for $509!! Had I known that it was going to cost over $200, I would have told him not to even mess with it! I am SOOO frustrated! And then I was stuck because since Joe's brother had recommended him, I didn't want to show my frustration, so I just paid him. Then I called Jay, Joe's brother. He was FURIOUS! He said that there is NO way that it should have cost THAT much money!!! He appologized several times for recommending him and he even said that he would have fixed it himself if he had known it would be that much. I just told Jay, "Hell... I wouldn't have even had HIM fix it if I knew it was going to be that much!!" So then Joe called and about had a heart attack when I told him about it. So Joe called Jay and now Jay is in the process of talking to the guy to try to get things worked out. I just hope that he's able to return the check that I wrote and lower the price. It's just rediculous! My parents had the EXACT same work done last year (access panel cut out and ALL) and their bill was only $210 plus the cost of the faucet. I told Jay that and said that it shouldn't have cost us THAT much of a difference! So now I'm just praying that Jay will be able to knock some sense into him. Stupid plumber.

3 comments:

Lee Ann said...

That is crazy. You would think they would give you an estimate first and then go to work. Especially when it is going to cost that much in the end.

Shannon said...

Oh no Danielle! Why did you give him a check right then!!!? Wow that is just ridiculous that he took advantage of you like that. Can you stop payment on the check until you refute the charges with him?

Danielle said...

Yes, I did stop the check. And I guess a week ago they told Joe's brother that they would be contacting me immediately about an adjustment in the price. But it's been a week... I think I'm just going to refuse to pay them. It's been almost 2 weeks since I had the work done and they haven't even bothered to call ME to appologize!